Tuesday, November 27, 2012

"The happiest people I have known have been those who gave themselves no concern about their own souls, but did their uttermost to mitigate the miseries of others.” ~Elizabeth Cady Stanton

One of the people I am blessed to know who most portrays the heart of a servant is my friend Sharon.  I first met her about 21 years ago when we began worshiping with the congregation where she was a member.  She and her husband immediately made us feel welcome.  Sharon was one of those people who is sincerely interested in the lives of others, and seeks to find ways to help.  She would always try to help me when I would go to Ladies' Bible class, as I attempted to wrestle my 7 month old twins.  Unfortunately, they were both extremely shy, and did not warm up to Sharon very fast.  But, she was persistent, and with time she won them over.

As our children grew, Sharon continued to work at being involved in their lives.  She would bring them new toys to keep their attention during a week-long gospel meeting, and she was ever ready with hugs - not just for the kids, but for everyone.  She was always cheerful, with a great sense of humor.  But the thing that has always impressed me most about Sharon is her selfless heart of service.  She is one of those people who does countless acts for others as part of her everyday activities  - never complaining, and never expecting anything in return.  In her mid-60's, she is also currently teaching a Bible class of 27 2nd graders, after just having had hip replacement surgery - now THAT is service!

Through the years, even though we no longer live in the same city, we have continued to enjoy our friendship with Sharon.  She's visited our home on several occasions, and last year she and her husband drove the 2 hours from their home just to be in the Sunday evening assembly here to hear Caleb preach.  They continue to love our children, and will extend that in a tangible way once again beginning in January when Becca will live with them while she does her internship in Dallas.  

I'm so thankful for Sharon.  Her life has not been easy, and she has taught me so much about serving others.  I've learned from Sharon that service is rewarding, even if it's not always appreciated or even known about by the recipient.  From her, I've been reminded how great it is to have a sense of humor, and how laughter is such a wonderful part of any friendship.  She's taught me by her example that everything we have is from God, and is to be shared.  Sharon gives the best hugs of anyone I know - those big, take-your-breath-away bear hugs, and she's the only person besides my immediate family who often accompanies her hug with a kiss on the cheek.  I love that about Sharon.  How blessed I am to call her friend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment