Tuesday, November 13, 2012

It is not a slight then when they, who are so fresh from God, love us." ~Dickens

I am blessed to be loved by a number of little friends.  Once again, I have their names on my list, but for the sake of covering more people this month, I am going to write a general post about them as a unit.

I love my little friends, and by little, I'm talking about those who range in age from 0 to 11.  Some of them I am blessed to see each week, and others live far away.  Some call me Mrs. Tracy, some call me Aunt Se, and some can't say anything at all.

The children I'm talking about make me smile.  They are innocent, and "fresh from God," and full of life.  They are discovering much of life for the first time, and their enthusiasm and excitement is contagious.  Sometimes I wish their energy was equally so!  They sometimes wear out their parents, both in their energy and patience, and they say the most adorable things.  Sometimes they are even profound without realizing it. Some of them like for me to chase them, some like to be tickled, some like to play shy, and a few of them draw pictures and write letters that they mail to me - I treasure those sweet expressions, and am touched by each one.

In Matthew 19:14, Jesus said, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven."  These children I'm writing about possess that humble, innocent spirit that Jesus is speaking of here, and I would do well to try to be more like them.  They have an implicit trust and naivety about them that is refreshing.  They don't think the worst of others, or question motives.  They extend their love, and are abundant in sharing hugs and fist bumps.  They are not shy about expressing their love, and I am so very thankful for those "fresh from God" friends in my life.  Their love is overwhelmingly sweet, and I'm thankful to have a part in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment