Saturday, November 17, 2012

"Siblings are the people we practice on, the people who teach us about fairness and cooperation and kindness and caring - quite often the hard way." ~Pamela Dugdale

As I've noted in past entries, I have one older brother.  My earliest memories of Todd include fun times of playing in the backyard in the sandbox or on the swing set.  We also played together inside, and one of our favorite pretend things to do was to play Gunsmoke.  He was always Marshall Dillon, and since I was the little sister, I had to be Festus.  His room was Marshall Dillon's office (his closet was the jail), and my room had to be the saloon.  I would play Hot Wheels, and guns with him, but I could never get him to play dolls or Barbies with me . . . hmmm, I wonder why.

During most of our growing up years, Todd and I loved each other, but unfortunately we didn't really like each other very much.  We fought incessantly.  And I shamefully admit that I was usually the instigator.  He was always in my way, and I was always bothering him.  Oh, we had moments of peace, but for the most part, we either fought or avoided each other.  That is very sad to me now, and I wish it had been different.

When we got older, we did enjoy doing things together with a common group of friends we had from church.  Those were good times, and we enjoyed some camaraderie then.  Fortunately we both matured, and outgrew our selfish, childish ways, which had led to such battles.  We each have busy lives now, and we don't have the opportunity to spend a lot of time together, but one thing I know.  I know my brother loves me, and I love him, too.  Someone once pointed out to me that the sibling relationship is the longest lasting of life - it outlasts the parent/child relationship, and it is usually longer than even the longest of marriages.  Because of our common roots, and growing up in the same house with the same parents, we have a special bond.  There are things my brother knows about me that no one else does, and vice versa.  And ONLY Todd can truly understand when I have complaints about other family members.

Todd has taught me a lot throughout my life.  From him I learned that fighting isn't always the best way to resolve a problem, and that selfishness never gets you anywhere.  I've learned that when you do have issues or problems with someone, it is best to work those out, and not let them fester until they blow up in the heat of an emotional moment.  Todd has helped me learn that we are tied to our families, and there is a deep, abiding love there that transcends anything else.  I know that if I needed anything at all, at any time of the day or night, Todd would be there.  I'm thankful for that.  Todd is a good man, and I'm thankful that he is my big brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment