Friday, November 2, 2012

"Grandparents make the world...a little softer, a little kinder, a little warmer." ~Author Unknown

(If you haven't read the October 31 post, please scroll down and do so before continuing.)

Grandparents can have a powerful influence on a child's life.  Today's random drawing did not produce names of my own grandparents, but those I acquired by marriage - Lee and Joyce Hardgrave, Jeff's maternal grandparents.

The first time I met the Hardgraves, Papa quizzed me on my family names as he attempted to find out some way we were related.  This made me uncomfortable, because I really didn't want to find out I was related to someone I wanted to marry!  Grandma quickly told me that she did NOT like anyone to be in her kitchen, and she meant it.  I loved them both from the start.

Papa was a unique person of many talents.  He was a jeweler by trade, a fiddle-maker by hobby, and a great lover of people.  He was one of those souls that people are naturally drawn to.  He always showed great interest in the lives of others, and I never saw him unhappy, even when things were not going well for him.  Grandma was a little more reserved, and more of one to stick to the rules.  She valued cleanliness, and frugality, but she, too, was always pleasant to be around.  They loved each other deeply, and I remember watching them in their later years together and thinking to myself, "I hope Jeff and I are just like that when we are their age."  They also loved their family deeply.  They spent countless hours with their grandchildren, and I am convinced that their influence is largely responsible for the development of the character of the wonderful man I was blessed to marry.

From the Hardgraves I learned that two seemingly different people can work together and complement each other in wonderful ways, drawing from each others strengths, and helping with each others weaknesses.  I also learned that grandparents can have an amazing impact for good in the lives of their grandchildren.  

The influence of the Hardgraves is far reaching, even though they have both passed from this life.  The things they taught, and the example they set continue to live as they are passed on through their progeny.  I am thankful for them, and was blessed to be loved by them.


No comments:

Post a Comment