Friday, November 30, 2012

“Friends are the family we choose for ourselves.” ~Edna Buchanan

When I was four years old, the Reynolds moved to my hometown.  They quickly became like family to us.  Their daughter was 10 years old than me, and she took a special interest in me.  She would play with me, have me come over and spend the night with her, and make me feel like I was a teenager, too!  I loved going over to their house.

The year after they moved to town, they endured tragedy when their 10 year old son died suddenly.  It was the beginning of the summer, and since Mrs. Reynolds worked outside the home, their daughter came over every day to spend the days with us - she didn't want to be home alone.  What a fun summer for me!

Eventually, their daughter married.  I was in the wedding, and when she moved to a nearby town, I would spend school breaks at her house.  I also loved being at the Reynolds house, and Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds took a personal interest in my young life.  They attended every piano recital, band concert, and school event that came along.  And they continued that, whenever possible, with my children as well.  Going to their home always seemed just the same as going to my own home.  What a blessing they were in my young life!

The Reynolds were some of the most hospitable people I've ever known.  It was impossible to be in their home without eating or drinking something, because Mr. Reynolds was relentless in offering - sometimes it was easier just to accept, even if you really didn't want anything!  They made me feel like part of their family, but I wasn't the only one.  They were always there, and could always be counted on.  The night my daddy died in an accident, they were the first ones to arrive at my mother's house, and the last to leave.  They opened up their home to out-of-town family of ours on that occasion, as well as other times - people they had never met before.  And after my father's death, they were there for my mother - they would drag her all over East Texas and beyond, to any and every event they went to.  On the first Valentine's day after Daddy died, Mr. Reynolds took his wife - and my mother - out to eat.

Mr. Reynolds passed away several years ago.  I was able to go visit him shortly before he died, and say my goodbyes, and I'm thankful I had that opportunity.  Mrs. Reynolds continues to live in my hometown, and now my mother and her new husband are the ones who drag her all over the countryside.  The Reynolds taught me a lot as a child.  From them I first learned that family is not limited to blood relatives.  They showed me that by taking an active interest in the lives of others, strong, lifelong relationships can form.  They taught me hospitality, and service.  My childhood was brighter, and my life as a whole is better, because of the Reynolds, and I'm thankful that God blessed my life with them.

This ends my November posts of Thankfulness for the people in my life.  I will write a concluding, wrap-up blog entry tomorrow, December 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment