Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Blessed is the influence of one true, loving human soul on another." ~George Eliot

Do you know someone who is always happy?  Someone who has a unique gift for intuitively knowing the needs of others, and not only knowing them, but always responding to them in exactly the right way?  Someone who goes above and beyond to help others?  I know several people like that, and the person I drew to write about today perfectly embodies those traits.

I first met Debby when I was a teenager.  She and her young family began worshipping with us.  Her husband was a Christian, and Debby was soon baptized.  That was probably close to 30 years ago, and Debby has not lost her new convert zeal or enthusiasm at all.

Debby owns a hair salon, and when I lived in the same town, I always went to her to get my hair cut.  I loved getting haircuts, because it always gave me time to visit with Debby.  In those early days of getting to know her, I discovered a woman who was passionate about her family.  She would share with me the things she was doing with her two young daughters, and what she was teaching them about life.  She had a deep love for God, and that love led her to talk to others about Christ.  It also led her to serve in selfless ways.  To this day, if Debby perceives a need, she always responds.  I am continually amazed at the things she does for other people, and I'm sure I don't know even the half of it.  Not only does she serve, but she LOVES serving.  She has one of those personalities that draws people in, as she is always happy, and always laughing.

On my wedding day, I woke up to find myself unable to speak.  The cold I had developed a few days prior had turned into full-blown laryngitis.  Everyone around me seemed to have a "solution," and I was soon filling myself with decongestants, tissue salts, and every other home remedy known to man.  Debby showed up at the wedding venue to style my hair, and she immediately sprang into action, ordering a LARGE cup of coffee for me to drink.  "The heat from the coffee will loosen the phlegm on your vocal chords," she said.  And she was right.  Thanks to Debby, I was able to say my vows in a voice above a whisper.  I was also a little stressed that day when I learned that one of my house party members couldn't be there because she woke up sick that morning.  Once again, Debby didn't miss a beat, and told me she would be happy to serve in her place.  And serve she did - with a big smile on her face.

I'm glad I know Debby.  She has taught me that passion for God and for family does not have to wane with time.  She has also taught me that serving others is not a one-time thing, but should be a lifetime, daily privilege for those of us who are Christians, and that service is always a joyful thing.  Her manner of life has also shown me that most of the time all we have to do is be perceptive, and it will be easy to see the needs of others and respond accordingly - we shouldn't wait to be asked.  Debby continues to be a blessing to me and to countless others.  I hope you know a "Debby," and more than that, I hope we can all be more like her.


No comments:

Post a Comment