Saturday, November 10, 2012

"He preaches well that lives well." ~Miguel de Cervantes

When I was 15 years old, Chuck and Wilna moved to Longview to begin Chuck's first work as a gospel preacher.  They quickly endeared themselves to the entire congregation.  Chuck combined a studious and diligent attitude toward his sermons with a quick wit and unique sense of humor in everyday life.  (And I stress UNIQUE!)  They both worked hard at nurturing relationships, especially among the young people.  I remember many Sunday nights after services that were spent at their home, eating hamburgers and Blue Bell ice cream, playing games, and making memories.

Several months after they moved to Longview, Chuck preached a sermon I will never forget.  It was titled, "Fleeing Youthful Lusts."  Chuck got VERY specific about movies he knew some of the young people had seen, and other things that several had been involved in.  A lot of preachers might just anger their hearers with a sermon like that, but because everyone knew that Chuck's words were spurned by his love for our souls, he was well received that night.  I don't remember exactly how many responded, but at least a dozen teenagers came forward to ask for forgiveness and prayer, and I came forward, too - Chuck baptized me into Christ that night.

For the next several years, I sat at Chuck's feet week after week, listening to him preach the Word, being challenged to be better, and growing with each lesson.  His sermons were always well-planned, and he always taught me something.  But not only did he impart knowledge, he made his sermons very applicable to my life.  He put a handle on it, so that I was able to grab hold and carry it with me into my everyday life.

When Jeff and I got married, Chuck participated in officiating our ceremony.  He led a beautiful prayer on that occasion that I still remember to this day, and of course, provided great comic relief at the reception.

Chuck and Wilna were blessed to have a son while they were in Longview, but Jonathan's life began with trial, as he was born extremely premature.  They spent a long time in a Dallas hospital, and once they were home, their medical challenges continued throughout Jonathan's early life.  After Jeff and I got married, we lived in Dallas, and had opportunity to have Chuck stay with us sometimes when he and Wilna would bring Jonathan back to see doctors.  I was always encouraged by those visits.

For the past several years, my kids have been students at Texas A&M, and members at the Twin City church of Christ.  Chuck preaches there, now, and I have loved it that my kids are getting to experience the full effects of knowing Chuck and Wilna, and sitting at Chuck's feet each Lord's Day just like I did as a young person.  They have grown to love Chuck and Wilna for the same reasons I do.  When we visit our kids, Chuck and Wilna open their home to Jeff and me to stay overnight, and I always love those visits with them - reminiscing about the past, sharing in the present, and looking toward the future.

Through the years Chuck and Wilna have taught me a lot.  They have shown me how beneficial it is on both sides to form close friendships with young people, and how to encourage young folks in a volatile, uncertain time of life.  Through their medical trials, they've shown me the steadfast love of being a parent, and the need to always rely upon God for strength.  They've taught me that old friendships are indeed the best, and that a common love and service to God keeps people close.  Chuck will never fully know what an impact for good he had on my young life, nor how much of an impact he is having for good in the lives of my children.  I love Chuck and Wilna in a special way, and feel very blessed and thankful for the part they continue to play in my life, and in the lives of my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment