Wednesday, November 7, 2012

"Simply having children does not make mothers." ~John A. Shedd

Today I am going to cheat a little.  After all, it IS my blog, so cheating is allowed - right?  I have a number of young mothers on my list, and today I decided to lump them all together, simply because I would like to fit in as many people into these 30 days as I can.  If you are reading this, and you have young children at home, I'm writing about you today.  Some of you live here, and some of you have moved away.  I could list your names, but you know who you are!

I've been blessed to be able to have a few Bible studies through the years with the young mothers in our congregation.  I am always impressed with their love and dedication for their families, and their strong desire to raise children who serve God.  Some of these mothers stay home each day with their children, and some of them find it necessary to work outside of the home.  Most are married, and a few are not.  Of the ones who are married, most have Christian spouses, but some don't.  Wherever they fall in those areas, they encourage me.

I see mothers who sacrifice every day for their kids.  They give up sleep, nicer clothes, peaceful meals, and sometimes their sanity - all for the good of their children.  I see mothers who come to me and others for advice - not because we have all of the answers, but because they want to hear from someone who has been where they are, and survived.  I watch these mothers struggle with their youngsters during worship, sometimes making multiple trips outside to administer discipline - all so that they can teach them that worshiping God is important.  Is it easy?  No - but they don't give up!  These young mothers strive every day to live for Christ, and to grow in Him, because they know their kids are watching, and they also know that you cannot impart something that you don't have for yourself.  They work hard to teach their children about God, knowing that these precious souls they have been entrusted with will live eternally, and the choices they make as mothers during these early years will greatly impact the decisions their children will make for themselves when they are grown.

Being in the middle of mommy-hood, especially in the early years, can be scary, challenging, and frustrating.  Sometimes you feel like you are doing everything wrong, and other times you think that your child MUST be brain-damaged, because they just don't get it!  But these mothers I'm writing about today are sticking with it, and as their children are growing they are reaping the rewards.  I am observing a group of children who are growing up to honor their parents, to be a blessing to those around them, and most importantly, to love and serve God.  I'm thankful for all of the young mothers I know.  I love you all, and appreciate you so much for the tireless work you are putting into raising your children.  It truly is the hardest, but most rewarding job you will ever have. You encourage me, and give me hope for the future through your precious children.  Ahhh - those sweet children of yours - - that's a post for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment