Saturday, November 1, 2014

"We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment." ~George Eliot

Since this idea of being more aware and thankful of the small things in life all started with my problematic "B" key, I think it is only fitting that I begin the month with two little blessings that begin with that letter - Buster and Brinkley!  

Buster is our 15 year old miniature Dachshund.  He does little more these days than sleep, but it hasn't always been that way.  He "grew up" with our kids, and we got him primarily so that they could experience the joy and responsibility of having an "inside dog," but he quickly became MY dog.  While everyone else went to school and work everyday, I was home with Buster, and he was my constant companion, following me everywhere I went.  He still tries to do that even now, but doesn't always wake up whenever I leave the room he is currently occupying.  He is old, turning grey, he can't see well, and he doesn't hear much anymore.  Most would consider him to be "worthless," but he has given us a lot of unconditional love and joy through the years, and we love him right back.





Brinkley is Becca's little one-and-a-half year old terrier mix.  He is young, bouncy, and full of life!  He loves everyone he meets, and gets VERY excited when anyone comes home.  Even if you've only walked to the mailbox, when you come back inside the house, Brinkley acts like he hasn't seen you in AGES.  He's a sweet-natured little fella, and he's stolen my heart.  I tease Becca that when she moves in a few months, she will have to leave Brinkley here!



Why do we love these little creatures so much?  George Eliot wrote, "We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment."  So true.  They love us, no matter what, even on days when we are not very loveable.  And on those rare occasions when we accidentally step on their feet, or trip over them, they might be hurt, but they are full of forgiveness, never holding a grudge.  They are always happy to see us, and are always sad to see us leave.  Our dogs help us appreciate the simple things in life - a treat, a walk around the neighborhood, and a game of fetch or tug all cause unlimited joy.  And in those simple events in their lives, they truly live in the moment and enjoy it to the fullest!  They love to play, and jump for joy when they are happy - I should do that more often.  They are loyal and dependable, and they truly enjoy the journey.  

An unknown author wrote, "My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am."  If you ask me, that's a pretty worthy goal.  





1 comment:

  1. Very nice story Tracy. I haven't met Brinkley but the times i have seen Buster i can appreciate and imagine the joy he has brought to The Stewart's over the years.

    ReplyDelete