Friday, October 31, 2014

“When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.” – ~Gilbert Keith Chesterton

For quite some time now, I have experienced a problem with my "B" key on my computer keyboard.  It works, but only if I press it hard and deliberately.  Since it isn't completely broken, I continue to put off having it fixed.  It really wouldn't take much to fix it.  We have a computer repair shop conveniently located right up the road, and previous experience tells me that they would gladly repair my little "B" key for no charge.  But, since it isn't completely broken, I continue to plod along with it, putting up with the inconvenience, and complaining instead of simply getting it taken care of.

So all of this got me to thinking . . . how much does the typical person consciously think about their "B" key?  I would dare say that you haven't given yours a single thought today!  It just sits there at the bottom of the keyboard, quietly tucked between V and  N.  But what if it quits working completely?  Then a sentence that talks aout it eing roken will read something like that.  We don't think much about "B," but consider some pretty important words that begin with this seemingly insignificant letter . . . Beaming, Beautiful, Beloved, Beneficial, Benevolent, Better, Best, Blessed, Boundless, Bountiful, Brave, Bright, and Brilliant are just a few that come to mind.

A lot of things in life are like my lowly B key.  Things and people who silently work behind the scenes, doing what they do - important stuff - without any fanfare or recognition.  Sometimes the only recognition they receive comes when they don't work like they usually do.  Think about that regarding the human body, and the seemingly insignificant parts, like the gall bladder - it does its job, day in and day out, in keeping the digestive process running smoothly, and we don't think about it - until it causes us pain.  Or what about that little thing called electricity.  We use it, sometimes abuse it, and take it for granted - until we don't have it, and then we complain mightily about the lack of light, air conditioning, and internet access.  But probably the saddest "B" key problem we have is people.  Think about the people in your life - especially those who are there, day in and day out.  Do you take them for granted?  Do I?

Tomorrow is November 1st.  Many people are more mindful of thankfulness during the Thanksgiving month, aren't they?  A lot of people post something on Facebook that they are thankful for each day of the month.  In November 2012, I chose a person each day to write about on this blog - people who have influenced my life in some way, and for all of them I continue to be very thankful. It was good for me to remember the people in my life, and to focus on one of them each day.  It helped me to see how blessed I am through each of those people, and to be more thankful for the part they have played in my life.  I am abundantly blessed.  

I need to strive harder to be more thankful for everything in my life, especially those things and people I might take for granted, or who may not always "work" like I think they should.  Things and people who might seem somewhat insignificant, but they are really important - like my "B" key.  So this year, I've decided to devote my November entries to just that - looking for the overlooked, focusing on the small things, being more thankful.  Paul mentions that in his letter to the Ephesians, when he tells them they should be "giving thanks always and for everything ..."  (Eph. 5:20) I'm doing this for my own growth, but you're welcome to read along, and maybe even join me with your own list.  Like my previous "thankfulness" blog two years ago, I hope it helps me focus more on how truly lessed . . . I mean, Blessed . . . I am each day.  See - one lowly "b" really does make a difference!





No comments:

Post a Comment