Monday, November 3, 2014

"God gave us memories that we might have roses in December." ~J.M. Barrie, Courage, 1922

This morning as I thought about my focus this month of being more thankful for the little things, I looked out my back kitchen window and saw it.  It came to me in a little pot 11 years ago - an expression of sympathy from a thoughtful group of friends upon the passing of my father - a small camellia bush.  It was chosen by my friends specifically because of the fact that it blooms in the fall - the same time of year that my daddy died.

Jeff planted it in the back yard next to our swimming pool.  It was little then - no more than a foot high.  Over the past 11 years, it has grown into quite a large bush.  And every year at this time it puts out the most beautiful pink blossoms.  The imagery is never lost on me.

The week of my daddy's accident was the worst week of my life.  His sudden, unexpected death left me reeling.  I've written here before about the memories that are forever burned into my mind of that week - and they are not pleasant.  However, that week, with all of its sadness, is not what I think about when I see that camellia bush.  No, that bush reminds me that even though 11 years have passed, my daddy's legacy lives on.  He is not forgotten by those who knew and loved him, and more importantly, the influence he had in our lives continues to produce a sweet aroma.  The blossoms each fall remind me that out of something so tragic can come something quite beautiful - Daddy left us with the greatest blooms of all - the hope that we will see him again one day when this life is over. 

My camellia bush also reminds me of the love of sweet friends.  In that simple act of sending that bush to us 11 years ago, they provided a continual reminder for me of not only the blessing of a wonderful father, but also the blessing of friendship.

Reminders are important.  We get so busy with life, we often forget to focus on the important things - including the "small" things.  "Reminder" is simply defined as "a thing that causes someone to remember something."  The root "mind" is preceded by the suffix "re," meaning "again."  So literally the word means to bring to mind again.  

So, this morning as I look out my kitchen window, I'm thankful for reminders that bring sweet memories.  And I hope those reminders will help me today in two ways:  first of all, to be like my friends of 11 years ago - thoughtful of others in seeking to ease their burdens; and secondly, to continue to honor my father by honoring my Father.  



No comments:

Post a Comment