Thursday, September 29, 2016

“Grandmotherhood initiated me into a world of play, where all things became fresh, alive, and honest again through my grandchildren's eyes. Mostly, it retaught me love.” ~Sue Monk Kidd

This morning, Facebook reminded me through their "On This Day" app that I had "memories" there from one year ago today.  I didn't need the reminder.  This very moment one year ago, I was in the car on the longest trip ever - the 3 1/2 hour eternal ride to Houston, receiving occasional text updates from Ryan as to how Sarah's labor was progressing.  I can still FEEL the emotions of that day as I remember every detail... receiving Ryan's "Welcome Lydia Grace Renz" text with the first photo of the new baby and mama as we walked through the doors of the hospital; walking into that hospital room as my firstborn baby handed me her firstborn baby; holding that sweet little one for the first time; watching as each of the most special people in Lydia's new life met her for the first time - her Pappy, her Grammie and Grandpa, her crazy Uncle Caleb, and her Aunt B (and future Uncle J!).  So much joy, and love . . . overwhelming love.





Over the past year, I have treasured every moment.  And Lydia really does make every moment more special!  Like the quote above, being a Mimi has made every experience I am blessed to have with Lydia more "fresh, alive, and honest."  And it has taught me an entirely new kind of love.  My favorite moments have been these...


The cuddle times...  especially during her first few weeks of life, when her mommy and daddy needed sleep, and Mimi had middle-of-the night hours of rocking.  I would sit and just stare at her - soaking in the feel, and the smell, and the sound of her.  And the other rocking and cuddling times over the past year - when the grownups were playing Ticket to Ride, and Mimi gladly volunteered to rock the baby.  Or when Lydia just didn't seem to want to nap in her bed, but was perfectly content to sleep in Mimi's arms for a couple of hours.  I could literally hold that sleeping baby for days if she would let me!

But I've also loved all the other moments with Lydia as well... giving her baths, playing with her, reading to her, and just watching her discover her world . . .









And, of course, it is great fun to take selfies with Lydia!










I love watching Sarah navigate her new world of motherhood, and I do that with awe and wonder.  She is such an amazing mother - I always knew she would be, but it gives me such pride and joy to be able to observe that sweet love and interaction between my baby with her baby.

Lydia is a wonderful mix of the two people who love her most - her parents.  From day one, she has looked so much like her daddy.  And as her personality has emerged, I see so much of our little Sarah.  Lydia loves books, and is so very careful as she turns the pages - just like her mommy.  She is also quite purposeful as she moves around, taking great care to not get hurt - just like Sarah always did.  And Lydia LOVES baby dolls, and loves to hug and kiss them - just like our little toddler Sarah.  I love watching all of that, and also seeing those aspects of her personality that are uniquely Lydia.

Anne Tyler wrote of grandchildren,"“She loved them so much that she felt a kind of hollowness on the inner surface of her arms whenever she looked at them- an ache of longing to pull them close and hold them tight against her.”   I think every grandmother can relate to that "ache of longing" she writes about.  This love - this wonderful experience of being a Mimi - is indescribable.  
The writer of Proverbs put it best when he wrote, "Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged" (Proverbs 17:6).

What a wonderful year!  So blessed, so thankful, and so prayerful - praying for Lydia's continued good health and growth, especially her growth in the Lord as she is taught each day about Him by her capable parents.  Prayerful that she will always have a heart that is tender to that godly instruction, and that she will grow up to honor Him.  And also prayerful for many more - both more years, and . . . more grandchildren!

Happy Birthday, Lydia!!  You rock my world!  Can't wait to see you TOMORROW!










1 comment:

  1. This made me cry....it's all so true. And Anne Tyler's quote is a new one for me. I can remember the very industrial parking lot in Houston when Jay called to let me know Reagan had arrived.

    ReplyDelete