Thursday, March 31, 2016

“Life can be treated either as a journey to be enjoyed or as a set of milestones to cross.” ~Anonymous

Milestones.  I have been hearing that word a lot lately.  A few weeks ago when I turned 50, a number of people referred to that as a "milestone birthday."  Maybe it was - the AARP certainly thinks so - they won't leave me alone!  And then there's my precious granddaughter, Lydia.  Every month since last September, on the 29th, we talk about the monthly milestones she has achieved, along with all of the developmental markers she has accomplished.  Each of those milestones for her are important to those of us who love her, and certainly something to be celebrated!

The origins of the word "milestone" date back to the third century.  The Romans first used them in their enormous network of roads to help travelers mark their progress - actual stones, set along the roadway.  Today, our US highway system uses mile markers for the same reason.  In a figurative sense, a milestone marks progress and achievement.

But just like literal milestones only appear every mile, milestones in our lives only occur at certain intervals.  We mark the milestones of our children's growth and development as infants, and then we note each milestone as they begin their school years - being promoted to the next grade, recitals, concerts, birthdays.  Then come the bigger milestones - turning 16 and getting a driver's license, graduation, beginning college.

As we grow older, it seems the milestones become fewer and farther between.  We have the early adulthood milestones - college graduation, marriage, the birth of our children, and then we turn 30... then 40... and then 50....  We welcome our first grandchild, and then each one after that, and those are big events.  We celebrate birthdays and holidays, and every large milestone in the lives of those we love.

But again, every day is not a milestone.  Most days are just part of what can sometimes seem like a monotonous journey.  Some days between those milestones can even seem arduous, like we are climbing uphill the whole time.  Maybe I even catch myself looking ahead to the next milestone, unable to simply enjoy the journey.  I know this can be especially true for young parents who are in the throes of child rearing.  I remember those days of thinking, "I can't wait until they can..."  If we're not careful, we can become so busy anticipating the next big milestone that we completely miss the simple joys of the in-between.

Today is seemingly one of those in-between steps for me.  My calendar contains the usual Thursday notations and plans.  No weddings to go to, no graduations to attend, and according to Facebook, none of the 480 friends I have there will even celebrate a birthday today.  But as I await the next major milestone that may come, this day is a part of my journey, and that makes it important.

Today, Lord willing, I will get to have the usual breakfast and dinner time with my husband.  I will enjoy the antics of our puppy, and the zest for life that she relishes each moment.  I will welcome a group of godly young ladies into our home this evening, as we meet to study the Bible together.  And I will go about the usual household chores as I prepare for their arrival.  I will likely hear from one or all of my children today, and I may even enjoy a new photo of our precious Lydia, or a random selfie of my journey-loving son.


And, as with most days, there will be little things that occur that perhaps I did not anticipate - bumps in the road, or possibly a surprise, unexpected curve, with a nice downhill coast.  None of those things are especially newsworthy, or even worth a Facebook post.  They certainly would not be described as milestones.  But added together with all of the other normal, seemingly mundane days, today is an important part of my journey.

Susan B. Anthony wrote, "Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these.”

Our lives our measured by these . . . indeed.  As I grow older, I do look back with fondness at the milestones in my past, and I look forward to those yet to come.  But more than that, I find myself enjoying even more the space between those markers.  The everyday, seemingly normal, moments.  Today.  This moment.  I pray I will make the most of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment