Thursday, February 25, 2016

"The differences between friends cannot but reinforce their friendship." ~Mao Zedong

Jeff and I have been enjoying the past few days in San Diego, California, and on Tuesday we went to the world-famous San Diego Zoo.  It more than lived up to its reputation - we saw myriads of animals up close, and enjoyed the day immensely.

As we perused the different areas of the zoo, one exhibit in particular really caught my attention.  It was the Cheetah exhibit.  We all know that Cheetahs are cats - large, spotted ones that live in Africa and parts of Asia.  They are the fastest animal on earth, and can run 68 - 75 miles per hour in short bursts.  They are BIG cats - adults can weigh anywhere between 83 and 145 pounds.

But at the San Diego Zoo, there's something very unusual and unique about the Cheetah exhibit.  As we approached their area, I did a double-take -- this is what we saw...


Yes, that's a dog.  A lab mix, to be exact.  Living with a Cheetah.  The San Diego Zoo regularly pairs these two unlikely companions.  Cheetahs are by nature fearful animals.  They would rather run than engage in a fight.  Any new or unusual experience results in an instant impulse to flee.  Dogs - especially labs - are just the opposite.  They are friendly, enthusiastic, and good-natured.  They love people.  And apparently, they also love Cheetahs!

The San Diego Zoo pairs a shelter dog with a baby Cheetah at about three months of age.  They begin slowly at first, allowing them to smell and investigate each other through cage walls.  Eventually, they allow them to share the same space, monitored closely by keepers.  After they become comfortable, a life-long friendship is formed.  The zoo is even able to take the Cheetahs out as "zoo ambassadors" with the accompaniment of their dog friend.  The dog is the "caretaker," always concerned and seeing to the needs of their cat companion.  And the Cheetah takes their cues from their dog leader - in any new situation, if the dog is comfortable, so is the Cheetah.

Fascinating.  

And this made me think of people, and how we interact with one another.  Proverbs 27:17 tells us that "as iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."  But for iron to truly sharpen iron, it needs resistance.  In other words, two blades can't really sharpen one another, any more than two Cheetahs can give one another confidence.  I need different people, personalities, and characteristics influencing my life to make myself better. 

I thought about my family and friends - the people I feel closest to in my life.  And without exception, they each possess qualities that I do not, but wish I did.  There's my ever-patient husband, who has helped this once extremely impatient person grow in that area by his awesome example (and patience) over the past 28 years.  I have others in my life who are out-going and fun-loving, who have taught my more serious-minded self to relax a little and have fun.  Then there are the service-oriented people - the givers - who have inspired me to be better at that as well.  And one friend in particular who lives several states away, I love because I can ALWAYS count on her to tell me EXACTLY what she thinks about what I am doing, without reservation.  Her opinion sometimes differs from mine, but I appreciate her candor and her willingness to share that with me.  She makes me better.  I could go on and on - in fact, I spent the entire month of November 2012 doing just that, as I posted a blog entry a day about the diverse group of people in my life who have shaped me - and continue to shape me - into who I am.

We all have others who are close to us who have characteristics that we likely view as negative.  These folks are good for us as well - they help us to work harder to avoid those attributes in our own lives.

Cheetahs and dogs.  I never would've paired them.  But the dog gives the cheetah confidence and comfort, while the cheetah provides the dog with companionship.  The trade-off for each is beautiful to behold.  And it makes me thankful for the diverse group of people who form my circle of family and friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment