Tuesday, January 21, 2014

“Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning.” ~Maya Angelou

When I wrote about letter writing a few weeks ago, I received several comments about phone calls.  Voices.  Just as handwriting is unique to each writer, and it gives us an indelible, eternal piece of someone, the human voice is the same.  A baby comes into the world knowing his mother’s voice, and being calmed by it.  Voices are distinct and recognizable - - an inseparable part of each person.  And something we long to cling to after they're gone.

I recently read The First Phone Call From Heaven by Mitch Albom.  The story is set in the town of Coldwater, Michigan, where several people begin receiving telephone calls from familiar voices of deceased loved ones.  Albom shifts throughout the book between the invention of the telephone in 1876, and the current day happenings of the town of Coldwater. 

Albom writes, “The news of life is carried via telephone.  A baby's birth, a couple engaged, a tragic accident on a late-night highway -- most milestones of the human journey, good or bad, are foreshadowed by the sound of ringing.”  He also recounts the first phone call from Bell to Watson, in which Bell simply said, "Come here, I want to see you.”  Albom goes on to state, “In the uncountable human phone conversations since then, the concept has never been far from our lips.  Come here.  I want to see you.  Impatient lovers.  Long-distance friends.  Grandparents talking to grandchildren.  The telephone voice is by a seduction, a bread crumb to an appetite.  Come here.  I want to see you.

For several years before my father passed away, he would often call me – at least once a week – in the morning hours after Jeff had left for work and the kids were at school.  I can still hear his familiar voice as I answered the phone, saying, “What’s going on over there?”  Quickly followed by, “How are the little shavers?”  Those calls were always brief, and never about anything important – they were simply a father checking in with his daughter for a few quiet moments between them.  During the first few months after his death, if my phone rang about 10 in the morning, I would have that momentary feeling of, “That’s probably Daddy…” before my reality would envelope me that he was never calling me again.  It was the ringing of that same phone that brought the voice of my brother telling me that Daddy was gone.  And interestingly, my brother’s voice sounds hauntingly similar to my dad’s – sometimes when my brother calls, it gives me momentary pause.

This morning, I received a phone call from a long-distance friend who lives over a thousand miles away.  She and I rarely see one another, and we don’t even get to talk on the phone that often.  But when I hear her familiar voice on the other end of the phone, time and distance seem to evaporate.  We talked for over two hours this morning about a wide variety of topics ranging from the serious to the mundane.  They were two hours well-spent, because at the end of that conversation I felt refreshed, encouraged, and loved.  All because of the back-and-forth of our voices.  As special as a letter can be, there’s no substitute for the sound of a beloved voice.

Albom’s book is a work of fiction.  We all know that there are no phone calls from heaven.  But those of us who have lost loved ones tend to cling to recordings of those voices for the same reasons, I believe, that we treasure their handwritten letters.  It’s a piece of them. 

I won’t spoil the ending of Albom’s book, but it is very interesting how the characters in the book progress.  The phone calls do eventually come to an end, but as Albom concludes, “Although the town was largely saddened by the loss of heavenly voices, no one seemed to notice how, in their own way, the calls had steered people to just what they needed.”

We call out; we are answered.  It has been that way from the beginning...no soul remembered is ever really gone.”

One character in Albom’s book receives a phone call from her deceased mother, and the following conversation ensues:
“Do you still feel things in heaven, Mom?”
“Love.”
“Anything else?”
“A waste of time, Tess.”
“What is?”
“Anything else.”

So true.  Anything besides Love is a waste of time.  So as I encouraged you in my last entry, write a letter.  But then, make a phone call.  Say “I love you.”  Listen to the sound of the other voice.  Leave nothing unsaid.  Make a memory that will last long after your voice is silenced by death.

“The sweetest of all sounds is that of the voice of the (ones) we love.”  ~Jean de la Bruyere


No comments:

Post a Comment