Thursday, January 2, 2014

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day." ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

We've just come through my favorite time of year - Thanksgiving through New Year's.  It's a time filled with family, friends, nostalgia, tradition, lots of food, and the chance to reconnect with far-away friends we seldom hear from through Christmas cards that arrive in our mailboxes.

In November, many people are more mindful of God's blessings.  As a result, we get to enjoy "30 days of thankfulness" posts on Facebook.  We make a focused effort to be more thankful for the little things. We think about it more  - - interestingly, our word THANK comes from the same etymological root as THINK.  Makes sense, doesn't it?  If we take time to THINK, we will be THANKFUL, and the opposite of that is true as well.  Those who are thankless just don't think!

As November moves into December, we begin preparing for Christmas.  We buy or make gifts for those we love most, and we find ways to show our appreciation to those who are important in our lives.  We participate in long-held family traditions, which strengthen bonds and keep us close.  We remember traditions that perhaps were a part of our childhood, and as a result, we think about those who have passed on more vividly during the holiday time.  We make new memories, share more hugs, and just generally feel more cheerful.  People are nicer, and more helpful.  We hear of more random acts of kindness, and people tend to do and give in more charitable ways during December.  I was the recipient of a random act of kindness at the grocery store one day a few weeks ago.  With my cart full of a week's supply of groceries, the lady in front of me prepaid the store clerk $10 toward my groceries.   She left the store before I even knew about it.  That made an impression on me, and made me feel good the rest of the day.

The holiday time has officially passed - today is January 2.  What now?  Norman Wesley Brooks wrote:  "Christmas is forever, not just for one day; for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away like bells and lights and tinsel, in some box upon a shelf.  The good you do for others is good you do yourself."  What if we could keep the attitude of thankfulness that pervades November throughout the entire year?  And what if we could maintain the fervor of December giving - our love, time, and service to others - through the next 12 months?

This morning I opened up my brand new planner with 2014 stamped on the front.  It's pages are crisp and unwritten on; and the year, likewise, stands before me yet unused and unsullied by last year's crinkles and smudges.  This year, I will work on keeping the holiday spirit throughout my year, which really is a Biblical concept...

I will give THANKS each day for God, and for what He has done, and continues to do for me...
"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good.  For His steadfast love endures forever." ~Psalm 136:1

I will give THANKS for the blessing of each new day...
"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."  ~Psalm 118:24

I will THANK God for every good thing that comes my way in 2014...
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights..." ~James 1:17

And likewise, I will THANK Him for every circumstance of life, even if it doesn't necessarily seem "good" to me...
"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."  ~1 Thess. 5:18

I will also be prayerfully THANKFUL each day for the people in my life...
"I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers..."  ~Ephesians 1:16

I will do everything I can to serve and love and give to others...
"In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” ~Acts 20:35

"For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” ~Galatians 5:13-14

"When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet."  ~John 13:12-13

"So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." ~Phillipians 2:1-11

All of which can pretty much be summed up by this...
"Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality."  ~Romans 12:9-13

If you know me, I hope you will hold me to it . . . and maybe even join me.  Let's keep this "holiday" spirit going the whole year through!






No comments:

Post a Comment