Friday, November 4, 2022

"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." ~John 13:35

Last weekend we were blessed to witness the union of Caleb and Julie in marriage, and we gained a wonderful new daughter in the process. Some in our physical family traveled long distances to be there in Lubbock with us, and we loved being reunited with them. Caleb's aunt and uncle from Georgia purchased plane tickets and a hotel room, taking three days out of their week to be with us. Both of Caleb's grandmothers and his step-grandfather drove long distances - something that is not easy to do when you're in your 80's. A cousin of Caleb's and her family also made the drive from out of town. And while we were touched by all of that, it's really not surprising - after all, they are family! They've known Caleb since birth, they share his DNA, and they wanted to share in the joy of this major event in his life. No one looks at the sacrifices they made to be there and thinks, "Wow! That is remarkable!" We almost expect they will come - they are family, and that's what family does.

However, as I looked around that weekend - both at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding - I was overwhelmed by the love I saw for the new Mr. and Mrs. Stewart. I don't know specific details about who all might have been there from Julie's family and friends, or where all they came from. But I do know what I saw among those from Caleb's side. People who have known and loved Caleb throughout his life came from all over the US. 

Many drove from the DFW area to be in Lubbock on a Friday evening at 5:30 pm. That meant that they had to take a day off work and find a hotel, which was not an easy nor an inexpensive task - it was Baylor weekend for Texas Tech, so hotels were difficult to find and prices were GREATLY increased. One couple in their 80's drove seven hours from Tyler in rainy, windy weather to be there. Others came from all over the great state of Texas, Minnesota, Florida, Arkansas, and the state of Missouri had a quite a large representation. Why would they all do that? 

I looked around that crowd of about 400 people, most of whom had no shared DNA with either Caleb or Julie, and was deeply touched by what I saw. In that throng, I got to meet the daughter of a friend of mine from my teenage years - Katharine and her husband are friends of Caleb, and I was in her parents' wedding. My friendship with her mother began as a result of our shared faith, which is the same way her daughter and my son are now connected. I also met Alaina's parents, Christie and Steven. Alaina is married to Caleb's best man, Cody. Even though it was the first time I had met Christie and Steven, I knew of them already - they often opened their DFW area home to Caleb, even celebrating his birthday one year with a cake and a party. That meant the world to this mom of a then-single son who found himself alone and far away from family on his birthday.

Friends of Caleb's from his Missouri camp years showed up from all over, including the Modins who were the camp directors during Caleb's early years there. Others who have been a part of Caleb's life since he was a little fella came, even going so far as to help with set-up and clean-up - both at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding. These are the same ones who drove to College Station when he graduated from Texas A&M several years ago. Others were there from Caleb's college days - older couples and families from the Twin City church who became family to our kids during their time there, and many of his college friends. 

So who are all of these people, and what is the commonality that links us all together? I've already said it's not DNA. It's something stronger than that. We are bound by the blood of Christ. We all have the same Heavenly Father - we are brothers and sisters, having been adopted into His family. And what a family it is!

We often speak about what a blessing it is to be part of God's family when we are suffering in this life. I have experienced that first-hand. When my dad passed away, brothers and sisters in Christ went above and beyond, seeing to the needs of my family in ways I could've never anticipated. I've seen the same thing played out countless times in the lives of others. But last weekend, I saw this kinship in a time of great rejoicing.

As the ceremony began and those 400 people joined their voices together to sing "Behold Our God", I was deeply moved. Four hundred souls praising "our God, seated on His throne,... nothing can compare, come let us adore Him!" The people described above love Caleb, Julie and our families because they love God and so do we. He is our common thread.

 
In Matthew 12:46-50, we read,"While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, 'Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.' He replied to him, 'Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?' Pointing to his disciples, he said, 'Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.'" In Matthew 19:29, when asked by Peter what he would have for leaving all and following Jesus, the Lord answered,  "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life." 

In that wedding venue last weekend, I was surrounded by Caleb's mothers, fathers, grandparents, brothers and sisters. People who would sacrifice their time, energy and money to share with him in one of the most important events in his life. People who I know he could call who would be there in a heartbeat if he needed something. They are my mothers, fathers, grandparents, brothers and sisters, too. What a blessing to be part of the family of God!

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people..." ~1 Peter 2:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment