Friday, May 6, 2016

“Being a mother is not about what you gave up to have a child, but what you’ve gained from having one.” ~Sunny Gupta

As I stepped outside to sweep off the front porch yesterday, my neighbor was riding by on her bicycle and she stopped to chat.  I walked to the street, and we briefly caught up on each other's lives.  Jane shared with me that her two oldest would be graduating from college over the next two weeks, and that all four of her children would be home for the summer.  I told her about our kids' latest happenings - and of course, the most PRECIOUS baby in the world, aka Lydia.  And as I turned to walk back inside the house I realized something - other than our initial brief exchange about last weekend's flooding, the entire conversation was about our kids.

I've thought about that a lot today, especially as I was out and about, and wished a "Happy Mother's Day" by several store clerks.  I've been a mother now for over half my life.  My children are grown and gone from home, and I wear other hats besides the "mom hat."  I am a wife, and I love this season of life with Jeff as "empty-nesters."  I have other responsibilities, friendships, and interests, but much of my identity is bound up in Sarah, Becca and Caleb - the three who have that unique relationship with me, their mom.

They have grown up.  They have left home, and have their own lives, homes, friends, and interests.

I miss the days of paper bouquets and Mother's Day school teas.  I miss the thrill in their eyes when they would present me with their special handmade gifts.  I miss the sloppy kisses, small armed hugs, and bedtime cuddles.  I miss the giggles, the noise, and even the childish tears.  I even miss the parent pick-up line at school - wait, did I really just say that?  And there's so much more . . . But if I allow myself to only dwell on what I miss from their childhoods, I would sadly lose sight of what I now have in place of those special times . . . 

 NOW, I have the hour-long phone calls from my Sarah like I enjoyed this morning, where we just catch up on life.  As we talk, I'm blessed to hear sweet Lydia in the background, as well as the sounds of Sarah getting their supper in the crock-pot. Not to mention that NOW I get daily Lydia pictures via text message.  I also get wonderful visits from time to time, when she brings her little family here and new memories are made.  And I smile, and thank God for NOW and this wonderful young lady who calls me "mom" and is serving God and loving her family.  And that our sweet little book-loving, tender-hearted, and giving Princess has grown into a strong, loving woman of God, who is also my friend.  




NOW I also have the phone calls from Becca.  Sometimes she might need a "pep talk" about an upcoming test, or advice on cooking a meal.  But more often she, like her sister, just calls to catch up.  I also NOW have the text messages from Becca, which usually drip with sarcasm.  And NOW I have the pleasure of seeing that our little, sensitive "Miss Grumpet" as we sometimes called her in her childhood has developed that compassion in a way that reaches out to help others.  She has found her "niche" in nursing, and will excel in that field.  And NOW I am blessed to hear people who know her and see her serving in her new church home tell me what a blessing she is to those around her.  NOW I thank God for our little Sweet Pea who has grown into a sensitive, caring young lady, who is also my friend.




And then there's the Caleb I have now!  Our boy is now a young man, and if he had stayed that little boy I would miss out on so much with him!  NOW I have his text messages and Facetime calls where he tells me about his day, and will often ask, "So what do you think?"  Now I have his "surprise" visits when he brings his dog here for the weekend, and am blessed to see the passion he has for every aspect of life.  NOW I hear good things about his service to God from others as well, and our little boy who never met a stranger is now a young man who continues to brighten the lives of others with his can-do attitude and his winning smile.  NOW I can thank God that our little Buddy Boy has grown into  a self-supporting, productive member of society, who serves God by using the talents he has been given.  And he is also my friend, who continually reminds me to enjoy THIS moment.

There's one more area that makes me smile NOW when I think of our children.  And that's their love for each other.  They talk to one another, and try to get together when they can.  Whenever I talk to one of them, no matter which one, we ALWAYS include discussion of the other two in our conversations.  They are fiercely protective of each other.  I love how they love each other NOW, in place of the childhood squabbles they sometimes experienced.



Even though my children are grown, I will be their mother until the day I die.  I continue to pray for each of them daily, as I have done since they were conceived.  And I will continue to feel the heights of their joys and the depths of their despair in a way I feel for no other.  Because of them, I am a better person than I ever could've been without them.  Because of them, I get to experience adding in other children via marriage, and I also get to experience the wonderful world of being a Mimi.  But perhaps most important, because of them, I have a little better understanding of the love God has for me - His child.  What a blessing.  Thank you, children - God gave me the best when He made me your mother.








No comments:

Post a Comment