Wednesday, October 28, 2015

"The world is as many times new as there are children in our lives." ~Robert Brault

Last night our doorbell rang, and this is what awaited us when we answered, with an enthusiastic, simultaneous greeting of "Trick-or-Treat!" 




 No, it isn't Halloween yet, but that didn't matter to the miniature sized Mickey and Minnie who came to visit last night.  And it didn't matter to us, either.  These two (and their parents) came to claim some candy, but what they gave far exceeded what they took with them.  These sweet bundles of smiles, giggles, cuddles, and energy made my day.


"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."  ~Angela Schwindt

We can learn so much from the children in our lives!

Children teach us to live in the moment. 
From the time they arrived until they left, our early Halloween celebrators enjoyed every second.  I let them fill their own bags, and they were unreserved in taking all that they wanted.  They played with Buster, explored the house, pinged on the piano, played staring games with Mr. Jeff, and little Minnie Mouse ate candy . . . LOTS of it!  They didn't worry about the things that inhibit us as adults.  Minnie Mouse had no concerns at all about potential for weight gain and blood sugar spikes, nor did she consider that the large candy consumption might cause a tummy ache later on.  And while I would not recommend following her lead in that regard, wouldn't life be sweeter if we would stop and savor THIS moment?  Slow down and really enjoy that bite of candy, or the laughter in our home, or the staring games, or something as simple as petting the dog, instead of thinking ahead to the responsibilities or concerns that come tomorrow.  Or even later on today.  

Children teach us to slow down.   Last Sunday evening, some other little friends came over with their parents.  This family consists of parents, two boys, and a girl.  While the older brothers were doing what older brothers do, and the parents were busy with caring for all three, this sweet two-year-old precious was in her own little world.  She found my stuffed frog and some Jenga blocks, and retreated into her happy place where stuffed frogs build amazing structures, and carry on intelligent conversations, completely oblivious to brothers who are practicing karate moves nearby.  This little one had no cares at all about what would happen tomorrow, or even in the next minute, for that matter.  How long has it been since I slowed down to "play"?  That piano I mentioned earlier sits mostly untouched in my living room - except when little hands find their way there.  I took seven years of piano lessons while I was growing up, but I seldom find the time to sit down and play anymore.  Life gets in the way.  Maybe I need to slow down like my little friend, Etta, and not let life rob me of the simple pleasures.

Children teach us to forgive fully.  Last week, I got to spend some time playing with my little Mickey and Minnie friends.  It's been a very long time since I pitched a baseball, but Hollis wanted to bat, so I pitched . . . and did a pretty sorry job.  But he didn't care.  He would run after them, and hit them anyway.  And you know what?  He didn't even mention that last night.  And on a much larger scale,  how many times did I mess up in much bigger ways with my own kids while they were growing up, but they always forgave me.  I can remember times when I would apologize with tears in my eyes to those sweet, innocent children I often felt so ill-equipped to parent, and their response was always to lovingly put their little arms around me, and say, "It's ok, Mommy." They forgave. Completely.  Which means they gave me another chance, and didn't hold it against me, or bring it up later on.  How much better life would be if we could carry that kind of forgiveness into adulthood.

These are just a few things that immediately come to mind -- there are so many others that time and space prevent me from sharing here . . . But, I'm sure you can fill in those blanks.

As I step into this next phase of life as a Mimi, I'm thankful for sweet Lydia who will remind me vividly and often of the lessons of childhood.  And I'm thankful as well for all of my little friends who teach me so much, and who enrich my life in so many ways.  Walt Streightiff wrote, "There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million."  And Cathy Nutbrown rightly observed, "Pausing to listen to an airplane in the sky, stooping to watch a ladybug on a plant, sitting on a rock to watch the waves crash over the quayside — children have their own agendas and timescales. As they find out more about their world and their place in it, they work hard not to let adults hurry them. We need to hear their voices."  

So for today, live in the moment, slow down, and forgive fully.  Make friends of little ones.  They will teach you more than you will teach them, and they will remind you in vivid ways of what is truly important in life.  


"Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man." ~Rabindranath Tagore





No comments:

Post a Comment