Tuesday, June 30, 2015

“There’s nothing wrong with enjoying looking at the surface of the ocean itself, except that when you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you’ve been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent.” – Dave Barry

Jeff and I recently enjoyed a vacation to beautiful Victoria and Vancouver, British Columbia.  One of the highlights of our trip was going on a three-hour whale watching tour.  The day that we went out onto the ocean, two separate whale pods came together, and we were able to enjoy observing 40 or so Orca whales (also known as killer whales) play and socialize with each other.  It was amazing to watch, and reminded me of what the Psalmist wrote in Psalm 104:26 - "There the ships move along, and Leviathan, which You have formed to sport in it."  

 We saw these magnificent creatures come to the surface to breathe, and listened to them exhale explosively through their blowholes.  We watched them jump, twisting their enormous bodies - that can grow up to 32 feet long, weighing as much as 6 tons - coming down with a spectacular splash.  We saw a mama and her baby swimming together, as the little one stuck closely to its parent.  It was truly awe-inspiring.



But what was even more intriguing to me is what goes on below the surface.  Most of the time, whales and other sea creatures go about their lives in secret, and those of us who never dive into those depths do not get to see their lives below - we only catch the rare glimpses of their brief, occasional appearances above the surface.

But below the surface, there is a very rich world . . .

Orcas are very family-oriented, social creatures.  The calves nurse for about a year, and stay with their mothers for several years.  They interact closely beneath the surface, and I have read that when two Orcas get into some kind of conflict, they "make up" afterward.  It has been observed in those situations where one of the fighting whales will actually pat the other one with a fin when the fight is over, as if to say, "I'm sorry."  (Or maybe, "I forgive you.")

The captain of our tour told us several fascinating stories - - like the young Orca they discovered with "rake" marks on its body.  The marine experts determined these marks to be caused by the teeth of other Orcas.  Why would they scrape their teeth across a baby?  According to the experts, it was because they were trying to save its life.  Apparently, the mother whale encountered distress during the labor process, and she called out for help.  Other female Orcas came to her aid, literally pulling the baby whale out of her in a successful effort to save the lives of both the mother and baby.  Whale midwives, if you will.  Amazing.

And speaking of whales "calling out," did you know that whales vocalize?  Their communication is quite sophisticated.  At several points during our tour, the guides on our boat would drop microphones down into the water, and we would listen in as these great sea creatures produced all sorts of various sounds.  They were "talking" to each other.  Studies have also shown that different pods of whales have different dialects, and they "learn" to talk from their parents.  Fascinating stuff!

But for the most part, all we ever see is what goes on above the surface.  And like the quote I used as the title states, that is much like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent.

Beneath the surface.  That phrase can apply to the world on dry land as well.

Earlier this year, I participated in a Bible study with some young women.  The focus of those lessons was on being genuine, and the problem we face in our world today with lacking sincerity and depth, and wearing plastic smiles.  We often don't say what we mean, or mean what we say.  It's easy to do that.  It's easy to fall into a pattern of doing the same things superficially day after day.  But what a waste.  So much abundance can be found below the surface - - By focusing there, we can have such rich lives.  

It begins with our time with God.  Am I a "superficial Christian," only opening the Word or praying to Him when I'm "at church"?  Or do I dive deeply into my relationship with God each day by spending focused time with him in Bible study and prayer?  As Paul stated in Romans 11:33, "Oh the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!"  If I'm not diving to those depths, I am missing out.  A superficial relationship with my Lord is really no relationship at all.

But diving below the surface also includes involvement with others.  Do I spend focused time each day with my family, seeking to truly know them?  Or do we simply live superficially in the same house?  The same applies to extended family, friends, and brethren.  Do I strive to stay connected with the people I love?  When I do have conflict in my  relationships, do I seek resolution?  Do I give a pat with my "fin," and say, "I'm sorry," or "I forgive you?"  


And what about my church family?  Am I seeking to go below the surface with them?  Do I really try to get down deep in those relationships so I can KNOW them, or am I content to just scratch the surface with foyer pleasantries three times a week?  

Do I spend more time on Facebook or texting than I do with actual, breathing human beings?  Am I available and listening for those who might be calling out in distress?  Am I searching for ways to alleviate suffering in the lives of others?

Wendelin Van Draanen wrote, "...the sad fact is, most people don't look beneath the surface until it's too late.”  I don't want to make that mistake.

I learned some lessons from those whales.  Reminders about focus, and communication, and building and maintaining relationships.  It's easy to just live on the surface.  It takes more effort to dive a little deeper.  Effort that is well worth it, in every aspect of life.









No comments:

Post a Comment