Friday, March 6, 2015

"Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance, until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God." ~R.C. Sproul

I talked to Jeff this morning.  It was Friday at 10:00 a.m. here in little Whitehouse, Texas, and my day was just beginning.  But he's already lived most of his Friday - it was 9:30 pm where he is in India, and he was wrapping up his day, preparing for bed.  Thinking about that staggers my mind.  It gives a tangibility to the great size of this world we live in.  Jeff is on the other side of the world, and that seems very, VERY far away.


But as BIG as this earth feels to me right now, consider this . . . you can go to this website (disregarding the evolutionary commentary) and see visual comparisons of the relative smallness of this planet on which we live to the rest of the universe.  Seeing things like that makes me realize how small I am in the big scheme of things.


Not only does the relatively small size of the earth cause me to feel a bit insignificant, but think about the magnificent number of people on this planet.  By most estimates, I am one of over seven billion people in this world.  To help give some perspective on how BIG seven billion really is, if I decided to count aloud every number between six billion and seven billion, it would take me 30 years!  Also, if you have a thimble that holds two milliliters of water, seven billion of those would fill at least five Olympic size swimming pools.  That number is staggering, and it makes me feel small.  It also makes those people who glory in having thousands of Facebook friends seem not quite so popular after all!

But, guess what?  No matter how small I may feel in relation to the universe, the God who created and sustains it all knows my name!  When Moses interceded for the Israelites after they had fallen into idolatry, God told Moses in Exodus 33:17, "...for you have found favor in My sight and I have known you by name."  That concept continues throughout the Bible.  Nahum 1:7 says, "The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble, and He knows those who take refuge in Him."  Psalm 139 gives great assurance that God knows and sees everything about my life - He even "formed my inward parts" as He "knitted me together in my mother's womb."  As Jesus described His relationship with us as the good Shepherd in John 10, He said, "I know my own..."  What a marvelous thought!

Last night in our ladies' Bible study, we talked about the sin of pride, and how we need to reach a "spiritual equilibrium" as we consider ourselves in relation to God and this world.  As I look at the world - the expanse of the universe, and the billions of people who dwell here - I see myself as small, finite, dependent, limited in intelligence and ability, prone to sin, and soon to die and face God's judgment (Heb. 9:27).  However, I am also God's child - I was created by Him, am loved and redeemed by His grace, and I have been gifted by Him with certain unique abilities, resources, and advantages, which are to be used for His glory.

So when I am feeling far removed from the one I love most in this world, or those times I might be feeling small and insignificant, I will remember this - God is my Father.  I am His child.  He knows my name.

"God loves each of us as if there were only one of us." ~St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment