Thursday, September 18, 2014

"A daughter is a mother's gender partner, her closest ally in the family confederacy, an extension of herself." ~Author Unknown

I remember it all in vivid detail.  It was Thursday, September 20, and my morning began exactly as the previous 43 mornings had begun - yes, 43 . . . I counted.  At 7:15 am, Doris (my favorite nurse who worked the 7 am -3 pm shift in the Margot Perot Women's Building at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas) came into room 416, which was my temporary "home."  She opened the blinds, gave me the daily weather update, asked how I had slept, how many contractions I had felt overnight, and began her morning routine of taking my vitals and checking the girls' heartbeats.  I liked that Doris always called my girls by their names, instead of referring to them as "babies A & B" like most nurses did.

While Doris was doing her job, my breakfast tray arrived.  At this point, I would look at the food with trepidation - due to the growth of the two girls occupying my womb, my stomach was squished, and my appetite was nil.  Doris noticed my reaction, gave me her usual speech about how important it was for me to EAT, and said she would be right back with my meds - my very last pill.
Last pregnancy photo


For six long weeks I had been taking Yutopar - 1 pill every 4 hours around the clock.  This medication (which ironically is no longer approved for use) had kept my contractions to a reasonable level, and had prevented our girls from being born WAY too early.  But on the previous day - September 19 - I had an ultrasound.  Dr. Weinstein said both girls were over 5 pounds, and looked good!  Even though it was 4 weeks before my due date, he was going to take me off the medication on the 20th and allow nature to take its course.  And take its course, nature did!  On September 21 at 2:58 a.m. Sarah Marie was born, weighing in at 5 lbs 11 oz, followed by Rebecca Lee at 3:00 a.m., who weighed 5 lbs 3 oz.

Seeing Becca for the first time



I think about these details, and many more, every year at this time.  The birthdays of all 3 of our children have always been times of reflection for me as their mother - I look back on the previous year, and think of their growth, their accomplishments, their difficulties . . . and my mistakes, and ways I can work on being a better mother.  I thank God each year for the events of the same week the year of their births - for the unique blessing that is MINE to be THEIR mother.  And that through His providential care, they are healthy and productive.
Our sweet newborns - Sarah on the left, Becca on the right
But this year, those reflections are a little more poignant.  Because this year, on September 21, the girls will turn 24 years old.  And on September 21, 1990 - the day they were born - I was 24 years old.  That sort of blows my mind.

As I think back to my 24 year old self, especially on the day before our girls were born, I see a rather selfish, very naive young lady.  These two little 5 pound blessings would literally rock my world, and change me in ways I had absolutely no way of anticipating.  Being a mother of multiples comes with a unique set of challenges, as well as joys, and through these two girls (and later their brother), I have learned more about selfless service, unconditional love, and vulnerability than I ever could have without them.  I've also been blessed to have a greater appreciation for God's love for me, and what He did in sacrificing His Son.  On the eve of their birth, my daddy told me, "they will teach you more than you will ever hope to teach them."  And he was right.

But this year, as I look at these soon-to-be-24 year old young women, reflecting as well on my own 24 year old self, I am even more thankful for them.  Even before they were born, they had different personalities.  As they have grown, they have displayed their individuality in their own unique strengths, talents, and weaknesses.  They are not perfect, but they both have a passionate love for God and a strong desire to serve Him.  They are miles ahead of where their mother was at the age of 24 in so many ways.

I hope the Lord blesses me with longevity enough to see them turn 48.  It will be interesting to see their lives at the point I am now, and to be able to make these same reflections and comparisons.  As every mother knows, I love them with a love that cannot be explained - not even to them.  And even though they are adults now, making their own decisions, with their own responsibilities and accountability, and forging their own paths, I am still their mother.  Yes, I am able to be more of a friend to them than I could during their growing up years, and I enjoy those friendship relationships with them immensely.  But I am first and foremost their mother.  My heart will always be so intertwined with theirs that I literally feel their joys and their pain as if it were my own.  Every mother reading this right now is knowingly nodding her head in agreement - it is an unspoken, indescribable feeling shared by all of us who are called "Mom."

So Happy 24th, girls!  I continue to pray for you every day, just as I have since even before we knew you existed.  Thanks for all you have taught me, and for the godly young women you have become.  Thanks for overcoming my mistakes, and for having hearts that have always been tender to godly instruction.  And most of all, thanks for making me a mother - YOUR mother - I will always feel overwhelmingly blessed and humbled by that role.

"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new." ~Rajneesh

June 2013  (Photo credit:  Donna Cummings Photography)


1 comment: