Wednesday, August 27, 2014

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." ~2 Corinthians 5:17

It was a Wednesday, exactly 9 years ago.  I really remember nothing about that day.  I don't know what the weather was like, but if it was a typical August day, it was probably hot and humid.  School had started, so the kids had gone to school that day  - Caleb was in 8th grade, and the girls in 10th.  They probably had homework, and we probably ate supper early in order to get to Bible study on time.  I also do not remember anything about the evening Bible study, but since it was Wednesday, I know we had gone, because we always do.

My first memories of that day are what happened after 11 p.m., when our 12 year old son woke us up.  He was upset, and he was worried.  Not because of a bad dream, or an upset stomach.  He told us he had sinned.  He said he couldn't sleep because his sins had separated him from his God.  He said he knew if he died, he would be eternally lost.  He knew that God had made provision for his salvation through the blood of His precious Son, and Caleb asked us to help him obey the gospel.

We woke up the girls, hurriedly dressed, and called the Dugger's before heading to the church building.  I remember every detail of that drive.  It wasn't the first time we had done this - it was the third.  And, ironically, the other two also came late on Wednesday nights in August.  I remember thinking how proud I was of my son - that he had a heart that was tender to the message of the gospel, and that he was ready to make a commitment to His Lord - to serve Him, and give his life entirely to Him.  But with that great joy, I also felt a sense of sadness that this precious child of mine had sinned against his Maker.  The joy returned, though, as I knew God would welcome him back, ever ready to impart His saving grace.

We arrived at the church building, and the necessary preparations were made.  Jeff asked Caleb to make the good confession, and I can still hear Caleb's pre-teen voice as he boldly said, "I believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God."  I remember seeing his small body disappear as Jeff immersed him into Christ for the forgiveness of his sins, and the smile that was spread across his face as he rose from that watery grave.

I remember wishing I could call my daddy as I had the previous two times we had made this trip.  I remember thinking about Luke 15, and how Jesus taught there that there is rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents, and I hoped that if the angels were rejoicing over Caleb's obedience, that just maybe my daddy knew and was rejoicing, too.

I remember hugging that wet boy - my son who had just become my brother in Christ - and driving home with him feeling much more content.  I remember after everyone else went to bed, I was still up - unable to sleep, as the magnitude of the night's events continued to play in my mind.

A lot has happened in the life of that boy who is now a 21 year old young man.  He will be the first to tell you that he is not perfect.  Since that August night in 2005, he has sinned, as we all have.  But he continues to grow, and to serve God as he strives to keep Him first in his life.  As John wrote in 3 John 1, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in truth."  I have no greater desire than to spend eternity in the presence of God with my children there as well.

We began a practice in our family with Becca (the first to obey the gospel), where each year on their "Re-birthday" we give them a card, and some sort of gift that will be either a Bible study tool, or a reminder for them of that day.  Something to encourage them to remember, and to look ahead to continued growth and service.  So today when Caleb retrieves his mail and reads that card, and remembers something very personal between him and his God, I will be remembering, too.  Remembering his obedience, which will remind me of my own that occurred on July 30, 1982.

May we all remember often the day we were born again into the family of God, and that those memories will re-ignite the zeal we felt on that day, as we continue to grow in our love and service to the One who "has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing."  (Eph. 1:3)


"Finish, then, Thy new creation; Pure and spotless let us be.  Let us see Thy great salvation
Perfectly restored in Thee; Changed from glory into glory, Till in heaven we take our place,
Till we cast our crowns before Thee, Lost in wonder, love, and praise."  ~Charles Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment